over 2 years ago
Inpatskitchen's Tomato, Orzo, and Chickpea Salad is a delicious vegetarian dish perfect for a picnic or on your lunch hour. Tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar marinate for several hours before mixing with orzo, black olives, and diced cucumber. Chopped basil and parsley add a breath of freshness. A sprinkle of creamy feta would be welcome at the party.
I love making pasta with a raw sauce of fresh tomatoes and a few other ingredients. I took the same concept and created this pasta salad adding a few other ingredients which can withstand the heat. Served cold or at room temperature it's a great side or a wonderful vegetarian meal. Marinating the tomatoes for 2 to 3 hours creates the dressing.
Makes about 8 cups
- 4 cups seeded diced tomatoes
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic crushed in a garlic press
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked and rinsed garbanzo beans (or one 14 to 15 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, garlic olive oil, red wine vinegar, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Park the mixture on the counter for 2 to 3 hours.
Cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
After the 2 to 3 hours "marinating" time, combine the tomato mixture, garbanzo beans, cucumber, orzo and olives. Stir in the parsley and basil. Re-season with salt and pepper. Chill.
- 1930 calories
- 121g total fat
- 16g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 3736mg sodium
- 178g carbohydrate (35g dietary fiber, 21g sugar)
- 45g protein