about 1 year ago
Creamy and lemony, Lisatoc's salad is both light and filling with a pop of freshness from the peas. The spinach pesto adds just the right amount of tang with subtle hints of walnut and nutmeg. This substantial salad would make a great lunch on a hot summer day, or a welcome addition to the average cast of characters typically found at a potluck.
A lovely creamy summer salad. In a pinch, you could use frozen peas but fresh are certainly best!
For the Salad --->:
- 2 cups fresh English peas
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- 6-8 ounces mozzarella - preferably fresh but any mozzarella will do, cut into very small cubes
- zest of two lemons (use zester rather than microplane to create long strips for visual appeal)
- red pepper flakes, optional
- fresh mint sprigs, optional
For the Pesto --->:
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 big handfuls walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Locatelli Romano cheese
- 4 shakes of the nutmeg shaker (or 6 scrapes of the grater)
- 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil (the most flavorful oil you have)
- 1/3 cup water
- salt, to taste
Combine peas, avocado and mozzarella in a medium bowl. Toss lightly being careful not to crush the cheese if you used fresh mozzarella. Throw the lemon zest in on top. Reserve a few strands to garnish the top.
After toasting the walnuts, add water, spinach, walnuts, romano cheese, lemon juice and nutmeg to blender. Turn on blender to blend and add a steady stream of olive oil as you blend until you have reached the desired consistency for your pesto. It will be creamy. Add salt to taste.
Spoon ½ of pesto into the bowl holding the pea mixture. Gently combine. Add pesto until you’ve reached the desired ratio (you may have leftover pesto -- all the better! It's yummy on pasta or ... well... just to eat with a spoon!). Scoop gently into serving bowl. Top with lemon zest and red pepper flakes. Garnish with a sprig of lovely mint leaves and walnut pieces if desired. A lovely summer salad or even something to scoop with Coco Pops as a snack.
- 407 calories
- 37g total fat
- 10g saturated fat
- 39mg cholesterol
- 362mg sodium
- 9g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 1g sugar)
- 13g protein