over 2 years ago
Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale, isn't as tough as curly kale and lends itself well to raw salads like this one. This recipe will easily double for a big group or potluck. This is a Health Starts Here recipe.
- 1 bunch lacinato (a.k.a. dinosaur) kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1 small head, quartered and cored)
- 2 navel oranges or Clementines, peeled and segmented
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 small orange)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange juice, vinegar and pepper. Pour over the kale mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- 136 calories
- 6g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 202mg sodium
- 17g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 9g sugar)
- 5g protein