about 1 year ago
kmille's Testing Notes:
This is a delicious take on crab chowder. The combination of slightly charred corn, sweet crab, and paprika creates a smoky chowder with just the right amount of heat. The spices are pleasantly mellowed by the cream, which JudyO adds judiciously to avoid pushing the chowder into overly rich territory. The crab flavor developed a bit more overnight, so you could easily make this ahead of time. Note: traditionally, mirepoix is comprised of 1 part onion to 1/2 part each of carrot and celery.
I first read found a receipe for spicy corn chowder in an English Home and Garden magazine. I have created my own variation of this recipe.
- 1 cup mirepoix (finely chopped carrot, onion and celery
- 2 finely chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fire roasted sweet corn
- 1 cup Jumbo lump Blue crab
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 48 ounces chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 pinches salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil over medium heat in stock pot.
Sweat the mirepoix, leeks and potatoes for 10 minutes until soft.
Add the corn and spices and cook for 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat.Remove bay leaves. Using immersion blender, puree the mixture leaving it a little bit chunky.
Add lump crab, return to heat on low and heat through.
Add heavy cream and heat until warm. Serve with crusty bread.
- 316 calories
- 8g total fat
- 3g saturated fat
- 38mg cholesterol
- 407mg sodium
- 49g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 7g sugar)
- 15g protein