over 2 years ago
Nothing gets you ready for your day like a bowl of steel cut oats loaded up with nuts, fruit and flax seed. Get this recipe going the night before and preparation is minimal in the morning. Creamy, rich and bursting with Omega 3s from walnuts and flax seed, my oatmeal is the only way to start your morning.
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond, oat or soy milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed (not whole)
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins, dried cranberries, chopped dates, apricots or figs
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
In a medium sized pot, combine milk, water, oats, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover and pop in fridge overnight.
The next morning, warm oatmeal in pot for 5-10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add more water or milk if necessary. Spoon oatmeal into 2-4 bowls. Distribute toppings--flax, apple, dried fruit, walnuts, sunflower seeds and honey--evenly over bowls. Serve piping hot.
Alternate Preparation: Bring first 6 ingredients to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and continue to cook for 40-50 minutes until oats reach desired consistency. Ladle into bowls, top with remaining ingredients and serve.
- 1060 calories
- 71g total fat
- 6g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 313mg sodium
- 89g carbohydrate (28g dietary fiber, 15g sugar)
- 35g protein