about 1 year ago
This variation on the classic Waldorf salad uses kale instead of lettuce and adds apple and walnuts to the dressing for a creamy consistency without using the typical mayonnaise base. This is a Health Starts Here recipe.
- 4 cups packed finely chopped raw kale, preferably dinosaur kale
- 1 large red apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, chopped, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Place kale in a large bowl. Add half the apple to kale along with celery, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup raisins.
Put remaining apple in a blender along with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, water, vinegar and salt. Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed to thin.
Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.
- 123 calories
- 7g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 143mg sodium
- 15g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 5g sugar)
- 4g protein