about 1 year ago
I have always loved Spanish rice as a kid, and in the last few years I have had a lot of fun experimenting with variations on this dish.
- 2 cups white (or brown) rice
- 1 pound ground chorizo
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ounces canned green chilies, drained
- 28 ounces whole canned tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces black beans(fresh or canned), drained
- 15 ounces kidney beans(fresh or canned), drained
- 15 ounces yellow corn(fresh or canned), drained
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Start cooking the rice. I prefer to use a rice cooker, but you can cook it on the stove as well.
Sautee the onion in a little canola oil in a large pan on medium heat.
Add chorizo to onion and brown.
Add green chilies to the pan and heat through.
Once the rice is cooked and the chorizo is browned, combine all of the ingredients listed (except for the cheese) in one large bowl and stir.
Pour into a large casserole dish.
Layer the shredded cheese on top.
Bake uncovered for about 30 - 40 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- 763 calories
- 36g total fat
- 15g saturated fat
- 83mg cholesterol
- 1253mg sodium
- 79g carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 12g sugar)
- 32g protein