about 1 year ago
You can easily substitute gluten-free bread for this recipe; choose a sturdy variety, and cut large slices half or quarters before serving.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 large, thick whole-grain baguette, sliced 1-inch thick on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves and slender stems
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (substitute macadamia nuts)
- 1 small or 1/2 medium garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups red, yellow and orange cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baby arugula, chopped small
- Shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
Arrange bread slices on baking sheet and toast until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over, and toast remaining side.
While bread is toasting, combine watercress, pine nuts, garlic and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a small food processor, and puree until finely chopped and mostly smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine tomatoes and arugula in a medium bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and stir to mix.
To serve, spread baguette slices with pesto. Divide tomato and arugula mixture between bread slices, top with cheese, if desired, and serve immediately.
- 241 calories
- 16g total fat
- 2g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 88mg sodium
- 24g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 1g sugar)
- 4g protein