about 1 year ago
For Mothers Day I love making a big brunch and one of the best ways to feed a lot of people is to make a few quiches. This one is inspired by all the beautiful Vegetables popping up in my garden and at our local farmers market. Feel free to change up the cheese to whatever you like. It makes a BIG difference to use fresh eggs in this recipe, I highly reccomend using the freshest you can find!
- 1 Frozen Pre-made Whole Wheat Pie Crust
- 8 Farm Fresh Eggs
- 1/4 cup Half and Half
- 1 tablespoon Good Quality Olive oil
- 3 Sping onions, Thinly sliced
- 4 Ramps (or green garlic scallions)
- 1/2 cup Summer squash or Zucchini (fine dice or grated)
- 1 cup Thinly sliced lacinato Kale (Spinach or arugula is great as well)
- 8 ounces Fresh Ricotta Cheese (Or any other cheese you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon each Chopped fresh Thyme, Italian Parsley, and Basil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a Mixing Bowl Whisk together Eggs and then add half and half. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and chopped fresh herbs. Whisk well and set aside.
In a large Sautee Pan over Medium heat, add olive oil and spring onions. Stir for a minute or 2 and then add squash. Continue stirring until squash cooks down a bit, adding a little water as needed to help the process. Add ramps and Kale and continue stirring until kale is wilted a few minutes more. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Remove Pie crust from freezer and place on a sheet pan.
Once slightly cooled place vegetable mixture in to center of pie crust. Then top vegetables with small spoon fulls of ricotta all around the inside of the quiche.
Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese and fill almost to the top, (You may have a little egg mixture left depending on the size of the eggs, and thats okay, you dont want to over fill it.You can save the extra egg mixture for an omelet later.
Place the quiche on the sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake until the top is lightly browned and egg mixture is set about 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Serve immediatley! Enjoy!
- 207 calories
- 13g total fat
- 6g saturated fat
- 212mg cholesterol
- 118mg sodium
- 10g carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar)
- 12g protein