about 1 year ago
Bright and herbal, perfect for a soup and salad night (like tonight!) This is a tasty salad but if you are having soup and salad you might want a lettuce based one too. Also, listen - this is a salad, not a wedding cake, so you should taste as you go and adjust the amounts of everything to suit your preference.
Serves a nice sized bowl of salad
- 8 ounces feta cheese broken into largish hunks
- 1 & 1/2 pint mixed cherry tomatoes
- 1 large handful of herbs, start with a good amount of mint (I have spearmint and pineapple mint) then add in others like basil, lemon thyme, lemon verbena, oregano and chives
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large shallot
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
Mince the shallot and put it in a big bowl. Add a pinch of salt a couple grinds of pepper and the oil and vinegar. Chop the herbs and stir them in - add the feta and use a spatula and fold this all together gently so you don't break the feta up too much. This is heady stuff and you really want to let it marinate for at least a half an hour so don't get in a hurry.
Halve the tomatoes. Fold them in. Zest half the lemon in and squeeze half the lemon juice - taste it and decide if you want the rest or not.
Cover the whole salad and let it rest in the fridge or on countertop for another half hour or so (depending how hot it is in your house), and you are ready to eat!
- 401 calories
- 28g total fat
- 11g saturated fat
- 51mg cholesterol
- 821mg sodium
- 29g carbohydrate (18g dietary fiber, 6g sugar)
- 17g protein