about 1 year ago
Most often we serve prosciutto wrapped melon slices, but I was wondering what would the inverse be - a cherry sized mozzarella ball wrapped in prosciutto wrapped in melon. I found an antique ice cream scooper at my parents' house, and used it to do my best to scoop out rather large melon balls. I then used a 1-inch melon ball scooper to make a circle in the middle of the melon ball in which to place the meat-wrapped mozzarella. A dressing made from the scooped out melon and its juices plus mint leaves makes a refreshing and pretty addition.
Serves 2 to 3 portions, but the size of the melon will determine how many servings
To Assemble the Melon Wrapped Appetizer:
- 1 ripe melon - honeydew, cantaloupe, or your favorite variety
- pinch sea salt and ground white pepper
- handfuls Mozzarella Ciliegine (cherry sized balls)
- 2 or 3 slices prosciutto, sliced again lengthwise into thirds or halves, to wrap around each mozzarella ball
- large handfuls salad greens of your choice
Use a 2-inch ice cream scooper to scoop out large melon balls. They may not be perfectly round balls, but you will set the "good" rounded side up. Place balls on a large plate to work on. Use a 1-inch melon scooper to scoop out a crater on the top of the larger melon balls. Set the scooped out pulp aside for the dressing.
Quickly pass a pinch of salt over the prepared melon.
Wrap the mozzarella balls with the prosciutto slices, and place a cheese ball in each melon crater.
Place the prepared melon on a bed of greens on salad plates.
For the Melon Dressing:
- scooped out 1-inch melon balls
- juice from the melon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 mint leaf per melon ball - I used chocolate mint
- salt and pepper if needed
Place all the ingredients except salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until the dressing is thoroughly liquified. Use more melon juice if necessary. Taste to see if you want to add a little salt and pepper.
Spoon the dressing over the melon balls and greens.
- 534 calories
- 11g total fat
- 4g saturated fat
- 75mg cholesterol
- 3058mg sodium
- 82g carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 73g sugar)
- 36g protein