over 3 years ago
Baba ghanouj, also called baba ghanoush, is a savory purée of eggplant flavored with tahini, lemon juice and fresh herbs. Eat it with wedges of whole wheat pita bread for dipping or spoon it over roasted meats and vegetables.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place eggplant cut-side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Prick all over with a fork and bake until soft and collapsed, about 20 minutes.
When cool enough to handle, scoop eggplant pulp into a bowl; discard skin. Add tahini, garlic, yogurt, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil. Mash for a chunky texture, or purée in a blender (before adding parsley) for a smooth texture.
Garnish with parsley and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with warm pita bread or crackers.
- 110 calories
- 8g total fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 1mg cholesterol
- 95mg sodium
- 10g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 4g sugar)
- 3g protein