over 3 years ago
Prepare this simple, delicious recipe in a flash on a weeknight. All you need are great steaks, shallots, a splash of red wine and a handful of fresh herbs. Serve with buttered new potatoes and the green vegetable of your choice.
- 1 (1 3/4-pound) piece hanger, rib or t-bone steak, trimmed of excess fat
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper pepper
- 1 tablespoon expeller-pressed canola oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy skillet until very hot, but not smoking. Add steak and brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side, until done to your liking. Remove and cover to keep warm.
Add shallots to pan and cook until fragrant and starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine and stir, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a brisk simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to reduce wine to a glaze consistency. Stir in parsley and chives.
Take the pan from the heat and whisk in butter, just until it melts into the sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Slice the steak and drizzle sauce over it. Garnish with additional chopped parsley and chives.
- 719 calories
- 54g total fat
- 18g saturated fat
- 168mg cholesterol
- 317mg sodium
- 10g carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 4g sugar)
- 32g protein