over 4 years ago
Layered potatoes, cheese and tender greens make a lovely skillet cake. This can be the perfect side to accompany a roast chicken or to serve with a cup of soup for a warming lunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium russet, white, or yellow finn potatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, thick stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg or Gruyere cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat butter and oil in a (10-inch) seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Spread out onions evenly in the bottom of the skillet and remove skillet from heat.
Arrange a third of the potatoes in a single layer on top of the onions in the bottom of the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, top with a third of the chard and scatter a third of the cheese over the top. Repeat the process to layer the ingredients two more times, ending with the cheese.
Cover skillet tightly with a lightly oiled piece of aluminum foil and bake until potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 1/4 hours. Gently remove foil then return skillet to the oven and bake until cheese is bubbling and browned on top, about 15 minutes more. Set aside to let rest briefly, then slice into wedges and serve.
- 209 calories
- 9g total fat
- 4g saturated fat
- 22mg cholesterol
- 65mg sodium
- 26g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 2g sugar)
- 8g protein