over 4 years ago
This easy quick-pickle is crunchy, sweet and salty. It's the perfect accompaniment to Asian meat dishes or a colorful addition to salads and sandwiches. If you're feeling creative, use the pickling mixture with other vegetables like asparagus, green beans or cauliflower.
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 Thai bird or serrano chiles , stemmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large daikon, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 English seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Put vinegar, sugar and salt into a large bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
Add carrots, chiles, ginger, daikon, cucumbers and onions and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to several hours before serving.
- 48 calories
- 0g total fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 311mg sodium
- 11g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 9g sugar)
- 1g protein